Despite being unhealthy, nobody can resist a good portion of golden, crispy, crunchy french fries with a soft center. In the past, they were probably limited to restaurants, but now you can eat fries with a perfect crust at home as well.
All you need is to buy half-cooked frozen fries from the market, cook them properly and they’ll be ready to eat. But what if you are in a hurry and you don’t have time to fry them? Is the microwave a good option instead?
Yes, it’s easy and simple! There are a few options, but the simplest way includes: a pack of frozen fries, a plate, baking paper and a microwave.
As you read this article, I’ll give you tips on how to use the microwave to cook the fries, as well as how to keep them crispy. I’ve also included some other alternatives, instead of using the microwave.
Tips on cooking frozen french fries in the microwave
It may come as a surprise to you that frozen french fries can be cooked in the microwave. You probably wonder how this type of cooking can possibly keep the fries crunchy.
They may not turn out exactly the same as fried ones, but they will turn out to be just as good if you follow my tips. Microwaves use fans to circulate the air. That means that the air moves throughout the interior of the oven so the food can be evenly cooked.
The heat transfers both ways: inward and outward, this is why the food is cooked more quickly. It keeps its moisture but loses some of its nutritional value (which is a downside of microwaves in general).
Follow the tips below to cook the best frozen fries in the microwave oven:
- Firstly, it’s important for you to spread the french fries on a sheet of baking paper. Baking paper is helpful as during microwaving, most of the energy is absorbed just below the surface of the food.
- Also, cook the fries in small batches – maybe 250 grams at a time. This will cook the fries more quickly. Set the microwave to between 600 and 800 watts.
- Put the round dish or pan on the microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave the chips for about 2-3 minutes on high power. Then, pause it to shake the fries, turning them over so that they cook evenly.
- Repeat this process a few times. This stage might take up to 10 mins, depending on the power of your microwave and how many fries you need to cook.
- Try not to overheat them, because they will dry out and the softness will be lost. Also, while you are heating them up, keep an eye on them as they won’t get dark brown.
- The final product is cooked fried fries, which you should leave to cool down before serving.
Your guide on making frozen fries crispy:
What makes fries perfect is their crispness. You probably wonder how frozen fries can be as crispy when cooked in the microwave as they would be if cooked in an air fryer. Read on to see my top tips.
I will also share some tips and tricks on how you can make the fries golden and crispy:
- Firstly, a good tip is for you to put just a little vegetable oil on the fries, to give them a little more moisture.
- As previously mentioned, baking paper is your best friend for this type of cooking because it helps the food retain its crispiness.
- Place the fries on the paper and together put them directly on the microwave-safe plate.
- Let the fries cook in the microwave for about 10 minutes (depending on the power of your microwave).
- When they are done, take them out slowly and be careful of the heat. Then, remove the fries from the paper.
- Put them on a plate and spread them out so they can cool down quickly.
- Once they are cooled down enough, serve them as you please.
Alternative cooking methods
I’ll now share with you some alternative cooking methods that can be even healthier than the microwave itself. These alternatives can also help you have a full plate of golden french fries:
Pack of frozen fries specially made for microwaves:
There is actually a company that has cracked the use of the microwave for cooking fries, and they produce boxes of fries that are meant for cooking in the microwave oven only. They are partly fried, and spread out inside the box so they can be cooked easily.
The box comes with instructions on the side, telling you how long to cook the fries, according to the power of your microwave. The box is specially designed to transfer the heat inside the microwave. Once they are done, the result is cooked crispy fries.
An alternative, healthier option is to bake the fries. They will take about 15 minutes to get brown. You should also shake the pan every once in a while, so they don’t burn.
When cooking fries, seasoning is always a good idea as it improves the flavor and makes them even more delicious.
The convection oven is an even better alternative, because of how it works. The fries will cook in a shorter amount of time, at the same temperature as a standard oven.
If you cook this way, a good tip is to spray the pan with nonstick spray or (of course) use a baking sheet. Seasoning is a good idea again, because it’ll add more flavor. This option is way better than frying or microwaving as the fries retain more of their nutrients.
Another useful option is to use a skillet. All you need is oil on the bottom of the skillet on medium heat and you can cook a larger amount of fries at the same time. You choose the crispiness of the fries so take them out when you think they are done. When you remove them use a paper towel to absorb the grease.
I will also share some FAQs related to frozen fries that will help you with solving your dilemmas:
Are frozen french fries already cooked?
Yes they are, so it’ll be easier and faster to cook them at home. Actually they have been cooked twice, before being packed, frozen and sent to the markets.
Do I need to defrost frozen fries before cooking?
You shouldn’t completely defrost them as they are meant to be cooked while still frozen. This is because the surface of the potato is sealed during the frying process so that the fries will be crispy. Also, if they are thawed they’ll absorb more fat and will get greasy.
Is it safe to microwave frozen french fries?
Microwaves are safe to use, effective and they’re a very convenient cooking method. There is no harm in cooking frozen fries in the microwave as it’s faster and you can achieve the same effect as frying them.