Despite being unhealthy, nobody can turn down a good portion of golden crispy, crunchy french fries with a soft center. You probably had that kind of fries in restaurants, but now you can eat fries with a perfect crust at home as well.
All you need is to buy half-cooked frozen fries from the market, cook them properly as they’ll be ready to eat. But what if you are in a hurry and you don’t have time to fry, is the microwave a good option to be used instead?
Can you use the microwave oven to cook frozen french fries? Yes, it’s easy and simple. There are a few alternatives, but the simplest way includes: pack of frozen fries, a plate, a baking sheet, a microwave and you are good to go.
As you read the article I’ll give you tips on how to use the microwave to cook the fries as well as guide you on how to keep the crispness even when using the microwave. Moreover, read on to find out some alternatives that can easily help you instead of using the microwave.
Tips on cooking frozen french fries in the microwave
It may come as a surprise to you that frozen french fries can be cooked in the microwave. You probably wonder how this type of cooking can be practical and it can keep the crunchiness.
Actually, you don’t have to worry because I have a solution for you. They may not be the same as the fried ones but you can make them as good as them by following the tips. As it happens, microwaves work by using fans that circulate the air. That means that the air goes throughout the interior of the oven so the food can be cooked.
The heat transfers both ways: inward and outward and there are properties on the microwave itself that can help you achieve the effectiveness in the process.
This is why the food is cooked more quickly as it keeps the moisture but loses some of its nutrients which is a downside of the microwaves in general.
Follow the tips so you can cook the best frozen fries in the microwave oven:
- Firstly, it’s important for you to use a baking sheet. You should spread the french fries in the pan or a plate. Baking sheets are always helpful and give an effect because during microwaving, most of the energy can be absorbed just below the surface of the food.
- Also, keep in mind while cooking to do it in small batches. Separate the fries and do it a few times, let’s say about 250 grams more or less. This is because all the fries should be cooked and it is quicker. Keep the microwave to about 600-800 watts.
- Put the round dish or pan on the microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave the chips for about 2-3 minutes on high power. Then, pause it to shake the fries as they will turn over, so the fries will be cooked properly.
- You can repeat the process a few times, as they’ll get hot and prepared. Actually, this could take up to 8 or 10 minutes or less, but the time could depend on the power of the microwave you have.
- Try not to overheat them, because you can dry them all out and the softness will be lost. Also, while you are heating them up, keep an eye on them as they won’t get dark brown.
- The final product is cooked fried fries, which you should leave to cool down before serving.
Your guide on making frozen fries crispy:
What makes a bunch of fries perfect is their crispness. You probably wonder how frozen fries can be crispy in the microwave as if they are fried in an air fryer. Read further down the article and follow the tips.
I will also share some tips and tricks on how you can make the fries golden and crispy:
- Firstly, a good tip is for you to put just a little vegetable oil on the fries so they’ll get more moisture.
- As previously mentioned, baking paper is your best friend for this type of cooking because it keeps the crispiness.
- Then, place the fries on the paper and together put them directly on the microwave-safe plate
- Let the fries cook in the microwave for about 10 minutes or just a bit more (this depends on the power of your microwave).
- When they are done, take them out slowly and be careful of the heat. Then, remove the fries from the paper.
- Put them on a plate and spread them out so they can cool down quickly.
- Once they are cooled down enough, serve them as you please.
Alternative cooking methods
I’ll share with you some alternative cooking methods that can be useful and even healthier than the microwave itself. These alternatives can also help you have a full plate of golden french fries:
Pack of frozen fries specially made for microwaves:
There is a company that actually cracked the microwave use for fries. They made a box of fries that are meant for cooking in the microwave oven only. They are partly fried, spread inside of the box so they can be cooked easily.
The box comes with instructions on the side of the package that tells you a period of time depending on the power of the microwave. The box is specially made to heat up in the microwave which transfers the heat. Once they are done, the result you get is cooked crispy fries.
As an alternative and more healthier option is baking the fries. You just need 15 minutes for them to get brown. You should also shake the pan every once in a while so they won’t get burned.
When cooking fries, seasoning is always preferable as it increases the flavour and makes them even more delicious.
This convection oven is also a better alternative, because of how it works. You can cook for a shorter amount of time at the same temperature as the standard oven, or just higher for a short period of time.
If you cook this way, a good tip is to spray the pan with nonstick spray or of course use a baking sheet. Seasoning is always a good idea because it’ll bring more flavour. This option is way better than frying or microwaving as it’ll help you keep more of the nutrients.
Another option that is useful to cook in is the skillet. All you need is oil on the bottom of the skillet on medium heat and you can cook a larger amount of the fries at the same time. You choose the crispiness of the fries so take them out when you think they are done. When you remove them use a paper towel so it can absorb the greasiness.
I will also share some FAQ related to frozen fries that will help you with solving your dilemmas:
Are frozen french fries already cooked?
Yes they are, so it’ll be easier and faster to cook them at home. Actually they have been cooked twice before packing and frozen and sent to the markets.
Do I need to defrost frozen fries before cooking?
You shouldn’t completely defrost them as they are meant to be cooked while still frozen. This is because the surface of the potato is sealed during the frying process that will result in crispy fries. Also, if they are thawed they’ll absorb more fat and will get greasy.
Is it safe to microwave frozen french fries?
Microwaves are safe to use, effective and they’re a very convenient cooking method. There is no harm in cooking frozen fries in the microwave as it’s faster and you can achieve the same effect as frying them.