Ground beef is one of the ingredients that is very commonly used among us. There are many recipes that include ground beef out of which you can make a very delicious meal.
Actually, ground beef is not expensive meat and you can make it in endless tasty and delicious ways. From hamburgers, chili, lasagna, pasta, meatloaves, and many more combinations, ground beef is the best thing.
Also, you can easily find it in your local market, buy it freshly grounded or frozen. You can buy a larger amount and save some for later use. But what if you were planning a nice dinner or lunch with ground meat, but forgot to defrost it. Is the microwave one of the options for defrosting?
Read below the article to find out more about defrosting ground beef if you have more time and what is the safest way to do it. Also, read below some tips on defrosting
Defrosting Ground Beef in a Microwave
If you are in a hurry and have only 5 minutes you can always use the microwave to defrost ground beef. It is quick and easy. Follow the steps and you’ll have the result that you are looking for in just a few minutes.
- First, take out the frozen ground beef from the freezer. Then, all you have to do is put the zip-top bag with the frozen beef on a plate inside the microwave.
- Defrost on 50 % power for about 3- 4 minutes. In the meantime make sure to flip the meat every 45 seconds. Also, keep an eye on the meat and check if it’s defrosting, because the beef may start to cook once it starts defrosting.
- Once you make sure that the ground beef is defrosted it is ready for cooking.
Some microwaves have specific defrosting settings so make sure that you adapt the heat. The process goes for about 3 minutes per 450 g of ground frozen beef. Make sure that the beef is defrosted enough by pressing on it.
Make sure to clean your hands first and press onto the mass to feel if it’s still frozen or not. You can also split it in half after it is soft enough so every part can be defrosted. You can use the meat immediately after defrosting or within the next 2 hours after defrosting it. Because if you leave it longer it won’t be safe and the warm spots can grow into bacteria.
Put in the fridge to add additional hours to be safe. Once it has been defrosted, do not refreeze it. You can cook the meat and then freeze it if it is too much or you don’t want to use the rest of it now.
Other Ways of Defrosting Ground Beef:
These ways are just as an alternative if you have more time to spare before cooking a nice lunch with ground beef.
If you have a day or less then defrosting in the fridge is the first option that you need to choose. Make sure to place it on a plate so nothing will drip out inside the fridge once the meat starts defrosting. This is a good option because even if you don’t need the meat right away you can keep it inside the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
If you have an hour for defrosting then another option is to defrost it in a bowl of cold water. Always make sure that there is no leak once the meat starts defrosting and place it in a bowl of cold tap water. You might wonder why cold and not hot water, but this is because hot water will actually heat the outer layer of the beef and increase the risk of growing bacteria. Change the water after 30 minutes or you can add ice cubes as well. Once the meat is defrosted, it should be cooked immediately.
Guideline on safely defrosting:
Here are some tips that you always need to keep an eye on before buying, freezing, and then thawing ground beef. Safety is very important, especially if you are buying meat.
- You have to make sure that everything is packed tightly and nothing has been thorn or we. Always keep separated ready-cooked items from raw ones.
- Refrigerate or freeze ground beag the moment you get home and also keep it in its original package if you are not planning on cooking. The raw meat can stay in the fridge for 2 days.
- If you are storing it, make sure to add in zip-top bags and place smaller amounts so you’ll be able to defrost them easily. Also, flatten the meat with a rolling pin so there is no excess air in the bag.
Can I freeze-thawed ground beef?
This depends on the method that you used. If you are thawing it in your fridge then you can go ahead and take it back to the freezer within 48 hours without any risks of bacteria. But if you are defrosting it in a microwave or under cold water it’s best for you to cook it immediately and not to refreeze it.
How to quickly defrost beef?
You can put the beef in cold water and change it every 30 minutes so it will defrost. Small packages It is advisable to use small packages of beef to defrost in an hour or less because the more there is the harder it’ll be to defrost.
Can I thaw ground beef in hot water?
It is not advisable to thaw frozen ground beef in hot water. This is because if the water is warmer than 40 degrees the bacteria can form itself and will begin to multiply. You should never leave the frozen ground beef on the counter or pour hot water on it.