Made with beef, salt brine, and pickles, corned beef is a perfect recipe for St. Patrick’s Day.
However, the biggest challenge is what can you do if you have excess corned beef left from the previous day? Throwing away such a delicious dish doesn’t sound right.
You can store the corned beef in the refrigerator for up to four days and reheat it in an air fryer, oven, microwave, stockpot, skillet, and steamer.
Our article today will provide you with detailed instructions for the above methods. We will also guide you about storing the corned beef properly and offer tips and tricks.
So, read till the end!
How To Store Leftover Corned Beef?
Before starting, it is essential to know how to store leftover corned beef so you can use it later. So, read on!
Refrigerate cooked corned beef in small airtight containers or pack carefully in heavy-duty tin foil or plastic wrap to prolong its shelf life for safety and health. Cooked corned beef will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days if refrigerated properly.
Another thing you can do is freeze cooked corned beef leftovers to extend their shelf life.
Wrap tightly in heavy-duty tin foil or plastic wraps and freeze in closed sealed containers or heavy-duty Ziplocs at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It will keep its finest quality for around 2 to 3 months in this manner but will be safe for longer.
One important thing: Storing the corned beef in the fridge or freezer must be done within two hours of cooking. Otherwise, bacteria will grow at room temperature, and your corned beef will taste foul and lose its color and texture. Thus, it will be unpalatable.
Moreover, you can keep corned beef that has been cooked and thawed in the refrigerator for the utmost four days before consuming it. However, if you melt the corned beef in the microwave or ice water, it should be eaten immediately.
2 Methods To Reheat Corned Beef On Stove
We will discuss the two top methods to reheat corned beef on the stove. You can try any one of them as per your wish.
A stockpot is a large and deep pot used to heat the contents quickly and then cook them evenly on simmer. You can use this unique method for reheating your leftover corned beef by following these instructions:
- First, fill the two-third stockpot with water.
- Boil the water on a high flame.
- Remove the stockpot from the stove.
- Place the sliced corned beef into a plastic zipper-lock bag and squeeze out any excess water. If you do not have zip lock bags, use any plastic bag and tie it with a rubber band.
- Immerse the bags into the water in the stockpot.
- Cover the stockpot and let it stay for the next ten minutes.
- Uncover the stockpot and remove the bags from the stockpot.
- Remove the beef slices from the bag and serve while hot.
Using a skillet is beneficial as you can cook the meat of your choice. Read the instructions below and see how you can have moist beef slices:
- Switch the stove and place a skillet or pan over it.
- For moist corned beef, add 2-3 tablespoons of water or beef broth.
- Add the sliced corn beef.
- Cover the skillet and let it steam for 1-2 minutes.
- Get the corned beef out from the skillet and serve it.
If you want crispy and dry sliced corned beef, here is how you can alter the above recipe:
- Instead of water or broth, add one tablespoon of cooking oil to the pan.
- Add the sliced corned beef and cook it for 30 seconds.
- Then flip it and cook the other side for 30 seconds. And, it is done!
How To Reheat Corned Beef In Microwave?
Reheating corned beef in a microwave is easy and takes the least cooking time. All you have to do is follow the simple instructions listed below:
- Place the corned beef slices in a microwave-safe dish in a single layer. Avoid overlapping as it takes more time to heat the corned beef then.
- Do not use foil paper as it is not microwave-safe. Instead, cover the beef slices with a wet paper towel to keep them moist after reheating.
- Microwave them for 2-3 minutes. If you feel it is still cold, keep it for one minute more in the microwave.
- Finally, take them out carefully and let them cool for around 60 seconds before eating to avoid burning your mouth. Pair them with your favorite side dishes and drinks.
How To Reheat Corned Beef In The Oven?
Using an oven to reheat corned beef is one of the best methods discussed till now. However, the only drawback is that it takes a lot of time. So, this might not be the best method if you are in a hurry.
However, if you have got plenty of time in hand, this is how you reheat corned beef in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sprinkle water on the leftover corned beef slices to avoid dryness while reheating.
- Take an aluminum foil and put beef slices over it. You can stack them, but it will take longer to reheat this way. So, we suggest you avoid it unless you have too many pieces left over.
- Heat the slices for 8 minutes. Keep checking the temperature in between and turn them in the oven if required.
- Once the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, take the corned beef out.
- Enjoy your sliced corned beef with cabbage salad, roasted potatoes, carrots, beans, artichokes, bread, or fried eggs.
How To Reheat Corned Beef In An Air Fryer?
Not only can you cook corned beef in an air fryer. You can also reheat it in this compact kitchen appliance.
So, take out the leftover corned beef from the refrigerator and follow the steps below:
- If you are using whole beef, cut them into small slices as they reheat faster this way.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the air fryer basket with foil paper and put the beef slices over it. Be sure no pieces touch each other. Do not stack them one over the other.
- Pour the beef broth (if you have any) or water into the basket till half-length.
- Now, reheat the corned beef for five minutes in the air fryer. In between, check the beef slices and turn the side.
- After five minutes, check the corned beef slices. If you want them warmer, repeat the above steps for another few minutes.
Important note: Although faster than a few other methods, corned beef turns out dry in the air fryer because the air fryer uses circulating air. So, even after adding liquid, your beef might seem drier than when it was fresh.
So, we recommend using this recipe only when no other options are available.
How Do You Reheat Corned Beef Without Drying It Out?
The two best ways to reheat corned beef without drying it out are by following the steps above and using an oven or stove.
How Do You Cook Already Cooked Corned Beef?
Cooking already cooked corn beef may lead to overcooking, so it is something you should avoid. As a result of this scenario, the flesh will become tough and dry.
If you feel your corned beef was dry the first time, cooking it again is never the solution because it will make it drier.
We suggest reheating the slices of corned beef in a small amount of liquid to keep them moist until ready to serve.
For the next time, lowering the cooking temperature and monitoring the inner temperature of the meat every few hours can help you avoid such a situation.
Can I Reheat Corned Beef In Microwave?
You can reheat your corned beef in the microwave by following the steps above. Just note the temperature settings carefully to avoid burning corned beef.
How Do You Keep Corned Beef Moist After Cooking?
You can keep corned beef moist and tender after cooking for long hours by just following a vital step in the cooking process of corned beef. It is called the braising of corned beef.
It is a method that cooks meats like beef in both wet and dry heats and includes adding a small amount of water or beef broth to the corned beef while cooking on a stove, oven, or cooker.
Check the water level after two hours if you’ve cooked the corning beef in the oven or stove. You may need to add more water to keep the roast from dryness.
Keep the settings at low or medium heat and let it cook for 8-10 hours if you are using a slow cooker.