Eggs are often part of our everyday meals. Many people use eggs as part of their diet because they are very nutritious and healthy.
It does not matter how you want your eggs, whether they are scrambled, boiled, fried, or baked, eggs are a very important part of our meals. There are endless techniques for making perfect eggs. The most common way to cook eggs is to boil them.
Everyone likes their eggs to be boiled slightly differently. Some people like them to have a runny yolk, some like them hard-boiled. Eggs fit perfectly in salads, and they can also be used as ingredients in your recipes.
However, what if you haven’t cooked the eggs to the form that you like, is there a chance that you can reboil them?
It is safe to say that eggs can be reboiled. I’ll provide you with a guide and additional tips on how to reboil eggs if they are soft or undercooked, as well as if you have already removed the shell. Boiling eggs is easy, but there is a chance that you might overcook them or simply not cook them enough.
Read this article to help you with your confusion about eggs, including how to get the perfect boiled eggs and how to boil them again to get them just right.
Boiling eggs: how to get the perfectly cooked eggs?
We all enjoy well-boiled eggs. But every person likes their eggs to be cooked for the perfect length of time. Some like them softer, some prefer them hard-boiled. Read these tips for how long to cook eggs to achieve the results you want.
- Put your eggs in a saucepan and cover them with water. Bring the water to the boil over a high heat. Once the water is boiling, put a lid on the pan and lower the heat. Eggs are boiled for 4 to 12 minutes, depending on how you like them cooked. An important thing to know is that if you want to peel the eggs more easily, put them in ice water once they are cooked.
- If you cook the eggs for 4 to 6 minutes, you’ll get soft-boiled eggs with runny yolks.
If you cook eggs for between 8 and 12 minutes, you’ll get very good, hard-boiled eggs with solidly cooked yolks. But if you go above 12 minutes, your eggs will be overcooked.
Your guide on reboiling eggs and additional tips:
It is completely safe to reboil already-boiled eggs. Read below to find out some tips on how to reboil eggs to get them exactly as you like.
How to reboil eggs?
You should use a bowl or a cup of boiling hot water and the already boiled eggs. Make sure that the water covers the eggs. You can heat some water using a kettle and simply pour hot water over the eggs inside the bowl.
When the eggs are submerged into the boiling water, cover the bowl with a lid and wait for the temperature to cool down a bit. When the water is cool, remove the lid and check the eggs. If the yolks are still too runny for your taste, let the eggs stay in the water for another couple of minutes.
If you would like to get the boiled eggs warm again, let them sit in hot water for one more minute. Then, use a spoon to get the eggs out and dry them.
This process results in two things. Firstly the boiled eggs are harder than the first time around, and are better cooked.
The second thing is that the shell becomes softer. You can store them in the fridge and use them later (they will last up to a week in the fridge), or you can eat them straight away.
There is a trick that will help you to know if the eggs have gone bad – put them in water and if they have gone bad they will start floating, otherwise they are good to eat.
Peel off under-cooked eggs:
If you have taken the eggs out too early, have already peeled them and now realise they are still undercooked, don’t worry! You can reboil these eggs even without the shell. You can safely put them back into the boiling water.
But what if you have separated the whites and the yolk is undercooked? Put the yolk in a bowl that can be used in the oven or the microwave and cook until the yolk turns darker.
- If you are in a hurry and want to reboil the eggs in the microwave, I would advise against it! There is a chance that the eggs can explode inside the microwave. This is because the boiled egg has moisture trapped inside and the pressure might increase and cause an egg explosion.
- The safest way to do it is to use warm or boiling water.
- One of the main reasons to reboil eggs is that they are still soft after the first boil.
- Boiled eggs contain digestible proteins, which are not present in uncooked eggs.
- A large boiled egg contains 78 calories and a lot of proteins and rich nutrients that are very important for your health.
- If you eat an undercooked egg, there is a chance of getting salmonella.
- An already-cooked egg put in the fridge is ok to be reboiled again, as long as it is still good (see above for how to check if it’s gone bad). The quality probably won’t be quite the same, but you’ll still get a good boiled egg.
What happens to eggs if you boil them too long?
If you boil them for too long, sulfur and iron components react on the surface of the yolk, which makes it a different color. But don’t worry, it’s still safe to eat it.
How long do hard-boiled eggs last in the fridge?
If you keep them well-stored in the fridge, boiled eggs can last up to a week. But if the egg is already peeled, it should be eaten the same day.
How do you peel an egg without the shell sticking?
Boil it for your preferred length of time and then put it in cold water and gently shake. Peel it underwater so it won’t get sticky.